NEXT EVENT: 26-27th SEPT 2020
What is the ROC?
Standing for Running, Orienteering, & Camping, the ROC Mountain Marathon™ is a two-day fell running and navigation challenge for solos and pairs with an overnight camp. It takes place in a different mountainous destination in the UK each year and promotes self-sufficiency, adventure, and mountain craft.
ROC – The Friendly Mountain MarathonRun. Orienteer. Camp. Repeat
Entries for 2019 open later this year – get your guesses in now for where we’re headed next year and ‘Sign Up’ below to be the first to know!
P.S. Tag someone who would love to join us then.
Steve Ashworth Media
Posted by ROC Mountain Marathon on Monday, 1 October 2018
• Linear – think ‘time trial’ – you navigate between a set number of checkpoints as quickly as possible.
• Score – Acquire as many points as possible within a set amount of time (score checkpoints have different values assigned to them).
Why the ROC?
• GPS Tracking – Allows family and friends to follow in real-time + good deterrent to avoid out-of-bounds + post-event GPS trace for your logging + race control can monitor your safety. [more info]
• Start when you like – no pressure to start at 07:48 – start times are not prescribed (except for leading linear course teams Sunday morning)
• Self-sufficiency in the wilderness – with restricted entry numbers and a combination of both linear and score courses, participants have a huge choice of controls the chance of ‘snakes’ of runners all heading to the same control are minimised.
• Age is no barrier – we welcome younger (14+) competitors to run with an adult 21+ and even accept experienced 16-17 year old pairs on the C course. [more info]
• Famously relaxed and welcoming – it’s common to find fellow participants in the large marquee enjoying a beer and an evening meal the evening before. Expect a friendly team of event staff and marshals.
• Part of the British Mountain Marathon Championship – chance to gain points to climb in the overall rankings.
• Wide spread of prize categories