2020 event cancelled

 In Uncategorized

Despite our very best efforts and mitigation planning, we no longer believe it is feasible to go ahead with the ROC Mountain Marathon™ this September, and we are cancelling the event.

 

 

The Covid-19 pandemic has created an unprecedented situation, resulting in an extremely challenging and uncertain environment for many business and individuals. Despite our very best efforts, we no longer believe it is feasible to go ahead with this event. We would like to thank all our participants for their patience and trust as we have worked with the various event stakeholders to come to this decision. It has not been easy.

We wanted to communicate this news as early as possible to allow everyone to focus on what’s important right now, avoid any further uncertainty and minimise our participants costs. We are mindful of the impact this will have on our community of participants, suppliers, freelancers and event volunteers.

We are also making other cancellations and postponements to our remaining 2020 calendar of events and will not be organising any further events this year. We recognise that this is a very demanding time for many people and businesses, and the events industry among many others is going to be massively impacted by the Coronavirus outbreak.

The 2020 edition was to be the last ROC Mountain Marathon™ organised by Ourea Events, and as no one has come forward to take on this event, we will not be able to offer a transfer to the 2021 edition. However, we would like to offer our regulator mountain marathon participants the opportunity to try our sister event the SILVA Great Lakeland 3Day™ taking place on the early May bank holiday, May 1st-3rd 2021.

The SILVA GL3D™ is a fantastic 3-day mountain running event held in the Lake District on the early May Bank Holiday weekend each year. It has much in common with mountain marathons, but a more relaxed and festival feel.

We will be contact all the participants directly by email to clearly lay out what their options now are. These will be a choice between a transfer to the 2021 SILVA GL3D™, a credit, a charitable donation or refund.

 


In our last customer survey over 95% of participants said that they had so much fun at the SILVA Great Lakeland 3Day™ that they would definitely take part again. We really hope that you can join them in 2021! ©Steve Ashworth

 

We would now like to take the opportunity to explain in more detail the key reasons why we have decided to cancel the 2020 event:

Health and Safety

The health and safety of everyone involved with the ROC Mountain Marathon™ trumps all other considerations and quite simply, we believe the only responsible decision at this point in time is to cancel the event. Our health and safety considerations include not just the participant and event team but also the rural host communities that will inevitably interact with the event. As it stands today, the Covid-19 public health restrictions would prevent an event like the ROC Mountain Marathon™ from taking place. There is currently no clear road map for unlocking these restrictions.

Travel Restrictions

On a practical level there are still travel restrictions within the UK, within Europe and mandatory quarantine for inbound travellers to the UK. If we were to go ahead there would be a large number of people who currently would be unable to attend through no fault of their own. The ROC Mountain Marathon™ attracts people from across the UK and Europe each year. At this point in time, we do not believe it is responsible to encourage unnecessary travel and intermingling of people. Additionally, we do not believe it is reasonable to expect participants to finalise their travel arrangements (incurring more costs), when the event remains at the mercy of international government policies focused on reducing the spread of the pandemic.

Spirit of the Event

The ROC Mountain Marathon™ is famous for its relaxed, fun and welcoming atmosphere. The hugely social event is critical to the brilliant overall experience, and to inhibit this spirit with social distancing and other Covid-19 restrictions would change the nature and feel of the event to such an extent that it would simply not be the same experience.

Risk Minimisation

Whilst we recognise that it might be possible to organise an event later this year, it would almost certainly only be possible with yet unknown Covid-19 mitigation regulations and rules in place. Whilst these would certainly dampen the atmosphere of the event, they would also add unknown compliance costs. Combined with the normal costs relating to the event, the risk that the Covid-19 restrictions may still not allow the event to take place at all, the risk that many participants may be unwilling or prevented from travelling to the event, we risk making a terrible commercial situation even worse by simply hoping we can make the event work. Therefore, the most prudent course of action is one of risk minimisation so that we can ensure Ourea Events is still in business next year.

As ever, thanks for placing your trust in us, and we really hope to see you at the 2021 SILVA Great Lakeland 3Day™ on 1st-3rd May, 2021.

 


“Brilliant weekend, Amazing weather, Fantastic support, Awesome food, Breathtaking scenery”
©Steve Ashworth

Contact Us

Feel free to send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search